Thursday 16 May 2013

Shark Bait by Jenn Cooksey

If this part actually ends up in the review, then it needs to be noted that it took 45 minutes to actually get to this point. I’m completely senseless over this book. I love this book like I love Cadbury Mini-eggs, a gift-card to Chapters, or even long-weekends. Shark Bait it better than snickerdoodles!

I had no idea that this book was going to be set in high school. For those of you who have already mentally ‘passed’ on this story because of the aforementioned, YOU SUCK!

Other then its setting, all you really need to know is that 1. There are two sisters who have been home schooled all their lives and are now going to public school for the first time; 2. Tristan is still technically jail bait in this novel (for the female readers who want to ‘swoon’ over him); and 3. Know your baseball rules.

Shark Bait is one of the funniest stories I’ve EVER read. All the characters are so lovable, even the ones you really want to hate. Combine that with dialogue that is sharp and comical, and you have a book that is PURE GENIUS.

I’ve read stories where the characters are in the same age group as those in Shark Bait. Some of them are really good, but then you get others where everything a character does manages to grate your last nerve because they are either whiny, dull, or shallow (even worse when it's all three). Not once during Shark Bait did I want to inflict bodily harm on this clever, intelligent bunch of kids. I was so impressed by the writing that I’d even read recipe cards by this author – and I don’t even cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment