Tuesday 21 May 2013

The Other Fish in the Sea by Jenn Cooksey

Trying to write out cohesive thoughts about this book on a Saturday morning at 6:45am without coffee might be dicey. But it’s the book’s fault I’m not firing on all cylinders because I was up all night thinking about it.


It might be because Crazy Stupid Love is playing in the background, but the only thing I can really say that might give you an indication of how great this book is would be to compare it to falling in love (corny yes, but hear my argument before *ewwing* it).

If you read this book, you know it’s the follow-up to Shark Bait. That book was like love at first sight; one of those spectacular, yet rare things that people always talk about, but few actually experience. It's the moment when something so consuming takes your breath away and knocks you on your ass. You’re not the same after it and pray to the heavens that your soul doesn’t get crushed in the aftermath.

The Other Fish in the Sea is like discovering all the reasons that actually caused you to fall in love, and realizing that though not everything is rainbows and lollipops, what you left in that first instance is wholly substantiated.

I was so consumed by the stories of all the individual characters. Some of what I read only confirmed my earlier suspicions, while other parts made me want to shake some sense into a few kids.

As I was nearing the end, the stars weren’t lining up for me. It felt like a bomb had gone off and my entire reading world was in disarray. Staring at the second-last page on my ereader, I let out a long string of expletives, hoping they’d make their way to California.

You’re one French fry short of a Happy Meal if you don’t read this book! And two short of a Happy Meal if you don’t like it (I can’t take all the credit for this last part – I only built on the existing words of a genius).
 
I wrote this on Saturday morning without caffeine. I'm only posting it now because 1. I needed to read it with coffee pumping through my system and 2. I enjoyed the long-weekend (Victoria Day in Canada).

No comments:

Post a Comment