Sunday 30 December 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

I'm known to reread books again. And again. And again. Nothing quite prepared me for Beautiful Disaster.

I ordered the book online the day it was released in Canada and thankfully received it 2 days later. I had to be up very early the next day, and J pleaded with me not to stay up all night reading. I was headed to cottage country for a week and he thought I should just read it while I was there.

I love my husband, but it all went in one ear and out the other. I will admit that I tried, though. I left the book on the dining room table with sincere intention of packing it with me. My son (lets call him O) was asleep and I was getting ready for my early departure. I must have passed the book 5 times, each time staring it for a fraction longer than the last. I was trying really hard, and then I caved.

I reasoned that I would read for an hour or so, and then save the rest for the trip. I looked at the clock and it read 10:30 and I had to be up for 6. I figured if I get to sleep at midnight at the latest, 6 hours of sleep isn't the worst I've ever had.

I finished the book in less than 7 hours. I got less than one hour of sleep because O woke up before 6 and when J saw me, he knew his pleas had fallen on deaf ears. I looked in the mirror and noticed my incredibly blood-shot eyes. And at that moment, I knew there would be more of these kind of nights with this book.

Within one week, I read Beautiful Disaster 4 times. Since first cracking the spine, I've read it more times I can count. Not to mention that I own the audio book as well (It makes it easier when I have to take the dog for a walk and am jonsing for some Abby and Travis). Someone somewhere will mention something that triggers a part from the book, and I immediately have to start again.

I'm not going to include the summary of the plot. If you are reading this in the first place, you've probably already seen the synopsis, heard of Jamie McGuire and her website (www.jamiemcguire.com), or heard at least something about this book. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go and Google it. Follow her on Twitter, Like her on Facebook, read her website -  I don't care, as long as you just read the book.

If she's hot and female, Travis Maddox has probably slept with her. If you cross him, you will have your ass handed to you. If Abby Abernathy can't deal, she will run. They have to work through self-inflicted drama like no ones business, and that's what makes it believable. It's love. Love isn't always easy and no one person is perfect. I've read reviews that depict an unhealthy relationship between these two, raising concern about Travis dependency for Abby and Abby's ignorance about the obvious, but I think something big is lost on those readers: first loves are intense, dramatic, messy, and something only the people involved understand. It might not the be every readers' ideal love story, but to me, it's beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment