Friday 8 February 2013

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley‏

I had really high hopes for this book. I realized it was set from a younger POV, but I still wanted to enjoy it. I really liked the first chapter. It held a lot of promise. I even didn’t mind the second chapter, but I noticed that I had to constantly tell myself to “think like a 16 year old”. Doing this really helped, but there were some parts where the rational 28 year-old in me came out and wanted to just smack one or more of the characters.
I noticed some commentary about the writing after I read the book. For most part, I agree with what was said, but teenagers actually talk like that. They do stupid things all the time, and try to invent cooler expletives than your standard f***, a**, s***, etc. I can’t fault the author for trying to capture the honesty of teenagers. On the other-hand, there were some issues that were overly sugar -coated. But then again maybe this is the older me thinking this way.
I didn’t realize until after I was done that the author was not American. It was really difficult to understand why teenagers (who I assumed lived in the States) insisted on using British phrases. At first I thought it was “their thing”, but as the book went on, it started to really annoy me.
I don’t regret buying this book (thus supporting a self-published writer), but I think this was a one-time read.

No comments:

Post a Comment